Saturday, April 3, 2010

If I weren't a Cubs fan

People have always asked me if I grew up on the Southside of Chicago, how could I be a Cubs fan? They also ask how could be a Cubs fan since they haven't won in 100 years.

Well let me think about this for a second? I could be a Sox fan but until they won in 2005, they hadn't won in 88 years, that's not a winning tradition. The Sox haven't won anything since either Besides the vast majority of their fans worry more about the Cubs and their fans than their own team. No I couldn't be a Sox fan because they are any better to root for than the Sox and Cubs fans are much more loyal and focused on their team.

I could have been a Red Sox fan but up until they won twice within a couple years of each other they hadn't won for a long long time as well. They are probably as close to being a Cubs fan as you can get. That wouldn't be an option either.

I could have been a Yankees fan because they have won many championships over the years. Lime many people though it's always more fun to root for the underdog instead of the big rich dog on the block. The Yankees certainly identify with that.

I grew up watching the Cubs on WGN TV back in the 1980's. Those teams had likable players like Bill Buckner, Keith Moreland, Rick Sutcliffe, Jody Davis and my favorite player of all time Ryne Sandberg. I care about the Cubs more than any other sports team that I root for. Just becaue they haven't won in a long time does not meen I am going to stop rooting for them. I certainly am not going to root for the White Sox; )