Saturday, August 14, 2010

diet update, update

For anyone who has not followed my weight loss or didn't see my facebook post, after 6 months I have lost 50 pounds!! I have found that my diet has been an evolving process. I have found out a lot of things about myself and have tried new things that I never thought I would like.

If you have read some of my previous posts, I started off buy trying to eat a lot of soup. I was advised by several people that may not have been the best way to go so I cut back to eating it for lunch or dinner 4 days a week. Eventually I eliminated the soup and replaced it with a serving of fat free pringles with a turkey sandwich. That's 180 calories that I was saving!!!

For years I was a person who ate whatever I wanted, when I wanted and I paid for it by gaining A LOT of weight. This diet is not just about losing weight. For me it's a lifestyle change. I have learned how to eat better and how many calories I should have per day to remain healthy.

I have tried new healthier things recently as well. Many of you know I am a picky eater and I don't eat salads or too many veggies. My wife Jen gave me some of her cut up cucumbers recently and I discovered that they were pretty good. She then made me a little salad with mainly lettuce and shredded cheese and some french dressing. It wasn't something that I could eat every day but it was something that I could eat.

Many people go on fad diets where they eat prepared meals to lose weight. While it may work for them to lose weight, what happens when they stop eating that food after they reach their goal? Many people gain the weight back. While I haven't reached my goal which is another 25 pounds away I believe that since it is a change in my lifestyle I will not gain the weight back.

I can't wait to get to my goal weight so I can eat more through out the day and feel fuller after I eat. The funny part of it how much weight I have lost, is if I continue at my current pace I will reach my goal prior to the holidays starting. I just hope I don't have to restart my diet next February hahaha.