Sunday, December 6, 2009

Fantasy Football

It's Sunday night and I am watching my third football game of the day. Just a few years ago I would have watched the Bears game and then gone on to do something else. Two years ago, I joined a fantasy football league and all of that changed. Now I watch games that I have a rooting interest in because I have players on my fantasy team playing in that game. I usually do not care who wins that particular game(unless it's Green Bay haha) as long as the player on my fantasy team does well.

I have to think that I am not the only one this has happened to. The television networks have to be making a lot of money indirectly from any of the fantasy sports whether it be football, baseball, hockey and basketball. That would be because the people, who have a rooting interest and possibly a monetary interest, if their leagues are set up that way, are tuning in to watch the players on their teams.

I have yet to play in a fantasy league for baseball, hockey or basketball. I have considered playing in a Baseball league but have not done it yet. I expend too much time and energy following the Chicago Cubs every year to follow multiple teams and their players.

As for Fantasy Football itself, I think it's a lot of fun to play a general manager
of a team and try and figure out who you want to start and what match ups will get the most points. This being my third year, I still have to work on identifying the best match ups for my team and to start the correct players. Of course since we can not predict the future, you never know when one of your regular starters will get shutdown by the other team or when your bench players will have a great game.